Community MetaSteam | May 2024 - Wake up samurai, we gonna get this Persian kitty home

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
No surprise, Ubisoft and Assassin's Creed are brands. People love brands over actual quality. No wonder it's gonna sell even if no gameplay is shown.
Digital Foundry once again didn't have PC report for big PC release (Ghost of Tsushima). These days that is normal thing for DF. Again i know that Alex can't do everything by himself but their PC reporting is kinda becoming pointless.
I dunno, I still trust them with their in depth reporting. They can take all their time.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
(System not upgraded to the latest because Wayland and Plasma 6)
I've updated my Manjaro installation to Plasma 6 and the latest kernels etc, and after an initial hiccup (Wayland wouldnt render a desktop, so I switched back to X11) and some performance problems (Dishonoured 2, which ran smoothly prior, suddendly stuttered all over the place; but this resolved magically after a restart) its all fine now. I wonder however if Wayland will ever actually replace X11 ;)

What Linux flavor should I use if I am going to be using the original use VMware workstation pro VB?

No experience in either.
I have no experience in WMware workstation (didnt even know what it was, had to google it), but my guess is the biggest distros are likely your best choice, since they'll likely have the best support – like Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu. When it comes to choosing what desktop, KDE Plasma is highly costumizable (but its a bit easier to break stuff), Gnome less so (havent used Gnome since version 3 came out, so cant comment much).

My personal favourite (but I havent personally tried many distros) is Manjaro, a distro based on Arch; it was recommended for Proton-testing by Valve back when the Steam Deck was announced so I went with it and liked it + used it ever since. Never had to reinstall it either, it mostly works without problems.
Ive previously (years and years ago) used stuff like SUSE, Ubuntu, Mint... and I know Gamall Wednesday Ida uses EndeavourOS, also based on Arch.

Unfortunately, this is both Linux's biggest strength and weakness, the question of "what is the ideal distro for me?" isnt so easy or straightforward.

• Eyes
Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
I went with Debian cause I tried out ElemOS but that had issues in VM. I will try out Manjaro - is there somethign that is like internet download manager that can download videos playing straight from the browser?

LEANIJA

Also this is annoying, I cna't install file centipede (fileu) cause of admin but can't run that in terminal...

Last edited:

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
Digital Foundry once again didn't have PC report for big PC release (Ghost of Tsushima). These days that is normal thing for DF. Again i know that Alex can't do everything by himself but their PC reporting is kinda becoming pointless. Many PC port reports come week or more after release.
From what I understand, and this is second hand, they didn't get given a code by Sony so could only get the game the same time as us.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I enjoyed Artifact.
I don't doubt the numbers are good, but a journo saying he DOESN'T have the numbers but believe the very people who at time have shown a very MALLEABLE definition of truth, and whose interest it is to boast of GOOD numbers... is great. Can't make it more 2024 sorta-journo sorta-influencer sorta-PR.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
I don't doubt the numbers are good, but a journo saying he DOESN'T have the numbers but believe the very people who at time have shown a very MALLEABLE definition of truth, and whose interest it is to boast of GOOD numbers... is great. Can't make it more 2024 sorta-journo sorta-influencer sorta-PR.
"Our product is desired! We can't and won't talk about exact numbers, but be assured that they are strong! So many people can't be wrong, preorder the game yourself to be able to also experience this desirable product!"

Reactions: PC-tan and xinek

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
I was watching a tech youtuber disable cores from 6 to 4 and lower his thread count as well, his game performance WENT UP anywhere from 5 to 16%. He didn't explain why this was happening though which left me super confused.

So i'm asking you guys for ideas/thoughts. How can you get better performance in games with less CPU to work with? :unsure:

The video in question.

Reactions: lashman

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
I was watching a tech youtuber disable cores from 6 to 4 and lower his thread count as well, his game performance WENT UP anywhere from 5 to 16%. He didn't explain why this was happening though which left me super confused.

So i'm asking you guys for ideas/thoughts. How can you get better performance in games with less CPU to work with? :unsure:

The video in question.
I didn't watch the video but if the game doesn't take full advantage of many cores, disabling some would allow the CPU more headroom to reach higher clockspeeds of the active cores, thus increasing performance.