Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Reactions: lashman

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
Revealed content
I mean, Timmy has a pretty big mouth. If KH was permanently exclusive or Epic ported it themselves he would have screamed it in full force
If in the next months KH suddenly appears on Steam it's honestly par the course for Square. Taking years to release something that could have released as soon as the contract expired is no different from what they're doing with FFXVI (and will probably do for Rebirth too). They love giving free exclusivity to their friends while saying in interviews "porting is actually really hard and our game really took advantage of being made for a single platform, promise xoxo"
Nagoshi was the same while at Sega, and everyone can see how as soon as he left Sega became much more multiplatform

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
Apparently Epic having bug where gamers are losing Dead by Daylight...
Man I read this as 'bug where gamers are losing in Dead by Daylight' and I thought that was hilarious.

I was imagining a situation where the version of the game on EGS has weapons that do 70% less damage for example and EGS players always lose fights because of that.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

• Occasionally, Epic Games Store does a ‘free game’ giveaway that’s actually a bunch of DLC for a F2P title, and Firestone Online Idle RPG seems very happy about theirs: “In less than a week, we managed to get more than 100K users coming from Tier 1 countries, and doubling up our CCUs from 5k to more than 11k.”
It's currently the 17th most played game on EGS. The Steam version peaked at ~2700k CCU this weekend but it's also on mobile so that obfuscates things a bit. Anyway that might get some idea about the upper crust for the most played EGS list.

Diabotical being one of the top 100 F2P games is something. That game has been abandoned for years.

Also the Mega Sale starts today. The first free game is supposed to be Dragon Age Inquisition. I assume it'll be the same as every year with the coupon.

Reactions: lashman

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Looking at Epic's first run category, it looks like a garbage bin. Not sure what Epic is thinking about their store anymore. New good looking indie games that seems to sell decently or well comes out every day and every week.
I too have been thinking about Epic's strategy moving forward. Basically I am wondering if they have some sort of long-term plan or if EGS is just a zombie because Sweeney is too proud to admit failure. I have a few scenarios in mind:

1. Epic does have a long-term plan for EGS. Maybe they are counting on the Fortnite kids eventually moving to traditional gaming and being accustomed to EGS. Maybe they are waiting for Valve to mess up and they want to be there ready to take advantage of any mistake. Or maybe there's another plan in place that we can't think of.

2. Epic is using EGS as a weapon for its legal battles against Apple and Google and they don't care if it ever becomes profitable. Maybe they have a skeleton crew running it and it costs so little to run that they don't mind if it doesn't make a profit.

3. EGS has failed, there is no plan in place but Tim Sweeney is too proud and stubborn to let it go.

• This!
Reactions: Ge0force
Dec 5, 2018
About point 1: what we know is that a lot of players of F2P forever/blackhole games moslty play that and it's been 5 years and despite having more games their 3rd party revenue is basically flat.

About point 2: It's worth remembering that they added itch just to prove that you can have a store within a store and not charge commision (it didn't sound as a convincing argument back then).

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
The fact that they stopped the coupons is probably a sign that they are giving up. I'm pretty sure lots (if not most) 3rd party sales were driven by these coupons last year (and a few exclusives like Dead Island 2). I can't wait for their year in review. 😁

Reactions: thekeats1999

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
  • The store cut will draw people
  • Exclusives will draw people
  • Free games will draw people
  • Coupons will draw people
  • Published games from darling studios will draw people
  • Stop doing exclusives
  • Stop doing coupons <<We are here>>
  • Stop doing free games

DrShrapnel

Shuwatch!
Oct 14, 2021
I’m confused. Is this their big Summer sale? thought it was normally timed to coincide with Steam’s Summer sale.

If this is it then oof. No coupons out of Tim’s pocket means this sale’s going to be a massive dud.