PSA Now is the best time to play Pillars of Eternity 2, easily one of the greatest games of 2018

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
All of Pillars of Eternity 2's (paid and free) DLC is now out, as well as patch 4.0.

They've greatly increased the game's polish, improved the UI and AI, balanced the classes and battles, and added a lot of additional content over what was already a very solid launch.

Personally, I paused playing the game a week or two post-release after ~25 hours so that I could complete it with all the DLC content (I generally don't re-play RPGs, and I like to play DLC like this during my playthrough and not afterwards) and I went back to it now with all the DLC being ready. I already loved the game when it was released, but I was surprised again at just how great it is when I returned back to it. I immediately lost several hours to it, and that's just not generally something that happens to me any more with single player games (unless they're made by Zachtronics).

Seriously, everything about this game is fantastic:
  • The setting is amazing. All the factions are believable, none of them are either totally Saturday-morning cartoon evil or beacons of morality.
    The region's as well as the factions' history is clearly very well developed, and its impact is realistically felt throughout the game.
  • Quests are incredibly varied, with many options for completing them. They could be focused on everything from a city-only spying mission over primarily exploring on the world map to dungeon crawling and battles. And their outcomes often aren't the usual binary "help this faction, now the other one hates me forever" deal, but a much more realistic approach where people will still act for their own self-interest in how the interact with you, even if you didn't do exactly what they wanted.
  • Systemic character growth (as in, leveling) and strategic planning are interesting, rewarding, allow for a great many options and playstyles, and are very balanced. The patches changed quite a lot here for some of the classes, and generally for the better -- and it was already pretty exemplary at launch.
  • The UI is the best that I have ever seen in any party-based CRPG. Everything is clearly signaled in and out of battle with smartly designed markers, it's highly customizable, and it has sub-string search in all cases where that makes sense. Seriously, ever since SkyUI demonstrated just how well that works in large-scale RPGs, it has seen far too little use. They go a step further in PoE2 and supply all items with tags that can also be used for search.
  • Talking about itemization, it's awesome as well. Lots of unique and Soulbound items, with great lore and even greater effects that play well with that lore background. And the tag system is amazing here again, where items can target specific subsets of tagged skills which allows very specific effects which in turn enable or greatly enhance the viability of some builds.
  • Skills are also awesomely varied within and across classes, and yet somehow still mostly balanced. Everyone basically has something tactically interesting to do at all times. And some changed introduced in the patches make this even more true, like the perk allowing you to scale the area of influence of spells per cast for increased (or reduced) effectiveness.
  • Since we're on the topic of variety, the pacing and gameplay variety in Pillars of Eternity 2 is one of its greatest strengths -- especially since this is an area where I feel many (especially longer) games fail. You have so many different types of gameplay, and you get the choice of how much to engage with each of them at any time: dialogue-based play primarily in cities and with party members, exploration on both the world map and in individual regions/dungeons, combat of course, choose-your-own adventure style segments (with skill and inventory tests -- I love these), the whole naval aspect, and of course strategic planning with items and character building.
  • The battle system is fantastic as well. Depending on the difficulty (in terms of both the global setting and the relative difficulty of individual encounters) you can always fluidly choose on how much or little to interact with the moment-to-moment gameplay, from highly controlled very difficult encounters to extremely quick cleanups (the latter of which I sorely miss in many other party-based RPGS). And the tactical possibilities are almost endless, and even more importantly quite different for almost every encounter, based on the relative positioning of enemies, your party, your remaining skills, and the geometrical layout of the area you are fighting in.
  • As you would expect from Obsidian, the writing is on point, despite the absolutely massive amount of it required to populate this large game. Characters and factions really come to live with it, and you notice how their background and disposition subtly (and sometimes not-so-subtly) influences the way they speak and frame different requests. It's not as heavy on the philosophical theming as some of my favourites in the genre, but in terms of grounded and thoughtful writing its excellent.
  • After all this, with a game so enticing on so many aspects, you kind of expect a letdown, right? It's a smaller-scale production, so maybe its graphics aren't anything to write home about? On the contrary, Pillars of Eternity 2 is a beautiful game. The rendered, then artistically improved backdrops integrate fabulously with dynamic elements and lighting, and the various locales all feature incredible detail. Spell and battle effects are suitably impressive, and weather and atmospheric lighting features elevate it far beyond what could be accomplished with this type of graphics setup before.

As a massive fan of these types of games, there is now absolutely no doubt in my mind that Pillars of Eternity 2 is the best game ever in the legacy of the Inifinity Engine CRPGs. (I still like PS:T more, but it's undeniable that PoE2 is objectively a much better game overall)
If you read everything up to this part, then you really really should play Pillars of Eternity 2.

Schnitzelfee

Token German
Sep 6, 2018
Outer Space
I still haven't played the first... and I even kickstarted that one... I'm the worst... :cry:

that said, is this a direct sequel or its own story? For some reason I know almost nothing about this game

Reactions: lashman
OP
Durante

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I still haven't played the first... and I even kickstarted that one... I'm the worst... :cry:

that said, is this a direct sequel or its own story? For some reason I know almost nothing about this game
It's a direct sequel, though set after a somewhat apocalyptic event and in a different part of the world.

PoE1 is also excellent (especially after its DLC and patches), and it took me over 100 hours, so you have a lot of gaming to do ;)

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
I stilk need to buy that game. Sadly it released next to a date where I had no money to spend with games, so fir now i'm waiting for a discount.

It's a sequel, but years after the first game. You can import your save, or start from zero and choose what decision you did or wanted to do in the original game.

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
Still need to finish the first (got half-way I believe) and expansion, this looks great though, so ill probably buy it as soon as possible.

freshVeggie

almost there
Sep 7, 2018
Sounds good. Somehow mostly read disappointment among players towards it, so this is nice to read.
Will keep in back of mind after playing PoE1.

Gevin

Watch Madoka
Nov 16, 2018
Still need to play the first one, but my time has been consumed by Path of Exile since last week

Rockin' Ranger

Rangers With Candy
Nov 7, 2018
I'm planning on playing this again soon now that all the DLC is out, just a few games I need to get through first though. I loved it there first time through and it's still my GOTY so far for 2018.

My only real complaint was that Edér couldn't be multiclassed as a Fighter/Ranger so he could have an animal companion. At least he can have a pet now.

oipic

Resident Lurker
Sep 19, 2018
I backed this one after kickstarting the first, and yet I'm also guilty of having played neither.

Waiting (and waiting) for a more substantial deal on the DLC for the original, as I don't want to play through it without it... but that deal just hasn't arrived. I should just bite the bullet and cough up for it - perhaps this sale!

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I backed this one after kickstarting the first, and yet I'm also guilty of having played neither.

Waiting (and waiting) for a more substantial deal on the DLC for the original, as I don't want to play through it without it... but that deal just hasn't arrived. I should just bite the bullet and cough up for it - perhaps this sale!
well it starts tomorrow, so ... :p

Matimeo

MetaMember
Oct 21, 2018
Tried the first one but just couldn't get into it. going to give divinity original sin 2 a try , maybe come back and just try pillars 2 later..

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Tried the first one but just couldn't get into it. going to give divinity original sin 2 a try , maybe come back and just try pillars 2 later..
D:OS 2 is AWESOME ... i hope you'll like it! :)

Stop It

Dec 19, 2018
Well by now, you mean tomorrow when the Steam sake starts.

Because that's when I'm getting it!

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
I'll play it, I promise. I may dislike RTwP but I'm always up for a good CRPG. I just have to finally play the first one and then move on to the sequel.

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
Worth it if I lost interest in PoE 1 after 4 hours and dropped it after 10? Writing wasn't doing much for me and I really hate RTwP.

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
Still need to finish the first (got half-way I believe) and expansion, this looks great though, so ill probably buy it as soon as possible.
And bought, as I said. loading first game with dlc now to carry on playing.

Stop It

Dec 19, 2018
As a reminder: Pillars of Eternity 2 is now 34(?)% off or 40% off for the Obsidian edition on Steam in the Winter Sale.

It officially is now the bestest time to jump in.

Arkanius

Dec 21, 2018
For some strange reason, I enjoyed Pillars of Eternity 1 a lot, but Pillars of Eternity 2 never caught my attention in any way that made me interest myself in the game. (Was it the setting? The lack of marketing?)

As soon as I finish Shadow of Tomb Raider, and Destiny 2 gives me some slack in terms of time, I'll grab it and give it a shot.

How long is the game by the way? I had a problem with Divinity 2 where at 100 hours, I was completely burned at Act III

Last edited:

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
If the great Durante says it, then it's got to be correct

I'll grab PoE1 first though.

Anoregon

Dec 21, 2018
Just want to chime in with my agreement. Deadfire isn't a perfect game, but it's pretty great. The world it creates is unique and engaging, and it has the best RTwP gameplay in genre.

Rei dos Vermes

Dec 7, 2018
I didn't finish yet, but I do agree that Pillars of Eternity II is a great game. It's a considerable step up from the first game, which was a pretty good cRPG IMO.

Arkanius

Dec 21, 2018
Just bought it from CDkeys.com
Deciding now if I should get the Season Pass or not. Any opinions?

Anoregon

Dec 21, 2018
Kind of hard to say outright. It's basically just more game, in that there are no classes or races or anything like that locked behind the DLC (although there are plenty of cool items and a unique party member). If you start up Deadfire and are enjoying yourself and want to get the most out of the experience, then go for the DLC.

My personal recommendation is yes though, because I love the game.

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
As someone who hasn't reached the expansion pass content, take my word with a pinch of salt.

I have heard on good authority, that the two parts are very good and round out the package and are worth buying. I believe that all expansion DLC for this and the sequel are worth it.

Anoregon

Dec 21, 2018
As someone who hasn't reached the expansion pass content, take my word with a pinch of salt.

I have heard on good authority, that the two parts are very good and round out the package and are worth buying. I believe that all expansion DLC for this and the sequel are worth it.
I believe he is asking about the sequel specifically. The DLC for the first game (White March) is absolutely and completely worth getting. It's probably the best content in that game.

Reactions: Prodigy and lashman

Fluffynov

I worship Godd Howard
Dec 9, 2018
Do you need to have finished PoE 1 to enjoy this one? I played up until the point where you get your own mansion but lost interest and stopped playing. Would I enjoy PoE 2 more?

xxr

Member of the Abyss
Dec 21, 2018
Honestly there is no "Neogaf Island." There is nothing in the game that references Neogaf or anyone from Neogaf.
Oh, I was under the impression there was.

But there's still that avatar thingy in the first, right? I mean it's not a big deal but I would delete it if I could. ;)

Chris

Chris
Dec 10, 2018
www.luchalabs.com
It'll mostly revolve around Bishop/New NPC in search of Erol of Levi. The game is also going to feature portraits from the previous titles so be all meta and play as Evilore finding Erol of Levi. The island is going to have one of the toughest dungeons in the game. The Island is a homage to GAF logo; let's see how they recreate it! How about Goose and Fox? No, it's not coming back, it'll stay in it's original place of glory.
:sick:

Dream_Journey

Dec 21, 2018
I keep hearing about how fantastic is this game. Thanks for detail information Durante!

I'm between Divinity 2 and Pillars of Eternity 2 about which one will be first to play, Divinity 2 cheaper but dunno, will wait some more i guess and clean some backlog.

Last edited:

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
I dunno, I loved the first game, but the setting didnt really click with me in Deadfire.
Made it to the first big city (thats like a big hill) and dropped it.

Teggy

Patiently waiting for Wet 2
Dec 2, 2018
What’s the deal with White March? Are you supposed to play it at a particular point? I remember when it came out people complained that you couldn’t play it if you had finished the game. Does the Pillars 2 DLC work differently?

Kuro

"Oh yeah? Aren't you gonna punish me?"
Dec 22, 2018
Would you say there's a chance I'd like 2 eventhough I didn't like the first one, and is it possible to jump to the sequel without clearing first one? I love CRPGs and DOS2 definitely rates very high for me but POE1 I just couldn't get into the combat for some reason, straight from the beginning it felt really slow and forced so I didn't get far.
I made the class that was kinda special, singing or something? Been a while but pretty sure it wasn't Bard.

hankenta

Dec 9, 2018
I'm not sure what happened to GAF Island in the end, but I think the people most involved and responsible for the process left GAF along with everybody else. There's a short FAQ on it in the OT on ERA, but no update in the OP.