Discussion What are you currently playing? (Week 19 of 2024)

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
New week, new thread! What are you playing?

I rejoined Game Pass past week and had a good time finishing Contrast on Series X. Already wrote my impressions on the game in the last thread so not going to talk about it here. Also started playing TOEM and it seems to be another fun adventure. However, although being a charming and wholesome indie, the monochrome art style feels slightly "dry" and I crave for a colorful experience after finishing Contrast, so I bought and started a Nintendo game instead, Paper Mario The Origami King.

I haven't docked my Switch for a long time. I finished the opening segment docked and holy shit the game is absolutely gorgeous and colorful on the big screen. In addition, Mario games always have good music but damn the tracks are crazy here. Very excited to see and hear what's in store down the road.

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
Dark Souls III. With unlocked fps and 90 gb worth of 4K texture pack., which honestly, only makes a difference when you're trying to photo mode. Maybe I'm wrong because I've never finished the game before, so I can't say for sure. But it's not really transformative.

Having fun bonking my way with the heavy great club though :)

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Been chipping away at Cold Steel 4 as usual. Just finished Act 2 and that sure was a hype as hell way to end it.
I do have my issues with the game, but they still know how to bring the hype moments.
Also did the new Genshin area and quests, excellent as usual.

• Comfy
Reactions: Kvik and Cacher

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
I finished Phantom Fury recently -- I feel its better than those early reviews make it seem, but the last couple levels felt like a slog to play through. In these, the game just dumps tons and tons of enemies on you and even on easy difficulty (which I played) I died a bunch of times. I dont wanna know how stressful it must be on normal or hard. The game looks nice, plays enjoyable enough, has decent gameplay variety, the bugs arent as horrible as the reviews suggested (only encountered a handful); it also performed well most of the time, with a handful of slowdowns. And I still like Shelly even if she's never been written particularly well ;)

I also started my fresh Dishonoured 2 playthrough -- as with D1 , I played through this game before - several times actually, but its a game I can come back to basically any time... and I guess I just wanna play something familiar now, and with gameplay I just fully enjoy; and the Dishonoured gameplay is exactly that.

• Comfy
Reactions: Stevey and Cacher
OP
Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Played Origami King for three hours today. Many people on the Internet said the combat encounters are pointless because they don't give out EXP. However, I quickly accept that this game is not a RPG but an adventure game. Fighting is just obstacles / activities on the way from point A to B which is a standard design for a lot of games. So I am enjoying it for what it is although I would love to play another Paper Mario RPG (very soon!).

Last edited:
Reactions: Stevey
OP
Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Finished the first area of Origami King. I didn't expect they include 2 "dungeons" in this first area, and the boss fights are fantastic! The presentation and music are filled with love and care. Top-notch.

OP
Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Origami King huge spoiler ahead
Bobby noooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe Intelligent System put this storyline into a Mario game. I also discovered this reddit thread after the scene and now I appreciate the story even more. This is fantastic.

Ibuki

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
I’m still working through Witch on the Holy Night, just finished Chapter 6 before bed last night. This is kind of a slice of life section after the really intense previous chapters at the amusement park. They are introducing some of the information about mages and the mechanics of everything in this world which I find really interesting.

Reactions: Cacher

Spamlynguist

I can never decide on an avatar
Dec 31, 2018
Been playing Jedi Survivor after getting in the mood to play some Star Wars games during May 4th.

I think I'm near the end of Chapter 5? I'm really digging the new abilities and stances I've unlocked, really opened up the game for some more fun exploration.

I think of all the Star Wars games I played so far, this is high up on my list of favourites now.

Reactions: Ge0force and Cacher

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I'm on vacation now so I'm playing Tomb Raider 2 remastered on the Steam Deck. Excellent level design, but the camera controls are still the biggest challenge. Still having fun so far.

I'm also playing a visual novel called Arcade Spirits on the Deck. Only finished the first chapter but I like it so far.

Before my vacation I was playing Jedi Survivor as well. Bedsides the technical issues, it's a good game but the pacing is a bit too slow for me. Also, a significant part of the game takes place in deserts which isn't very exciting. Still, lots of things to like in that game so I 'll probably finish it when I'm back home.

Reactions: LEANIJA and Cacher