Community MetaSteam | April 2024 - Definitely there's no rest for the wicked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

manchego obfuscator

MetaMember
Jan 23, 2020
Tried Last Case of Benedict Fox: Definitive Edition on PC Game Pass after getting back from vacation, and while I didn't spend too much time with it... it honestly doesn't feel that different from how I remember the not particularly good demo on PC last year, despite the dev notes on Steam having given me the misguided impression that the devs had significantly fixed and reworked the game. Performance is abysmal (it struggles to maintain 30fps at 1080p on my GTX 1660ti regardless of settings, and even the absolute lowest combination of resolution and settings supported didn't get me even close to a steady 60fps), the narrative still throws you headfirst into the supernatural shenanigans in a way that feels less like deliberate in media res storytelling and more like some crucial cutscenes setting up the story were cut out, and there's still a delay of several seconds to load in the map every time you pull it up, which feels absolutely awful and is frankly unacceptable for a game releasing in 2024, especially in this genre. I'll give it a bit more time tonight maybe, but odds are I'm not going to be playing it much longer.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
What if the gaming gods sacrificed Returnal and Valhalla...

So that they can tilt the scales in favor of Kingdom Hearts finally coming to Steam..

This has to be it right? Right?

• Bonk
Reactions: madjoki

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
I was just coming to post how off the leaker was. Womp Womp. It's still an ok'ish month, at least for me.

Not like Ubishit games bother to add achievements or anything anyway. (Though we don't even know if it would have been a Steam key.)

Fanatical launched the Fallout Bundle today.

Reactions: Ge0force

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
I am late to the new thread, thank you for the new thread Mor!!!

___

Slow gaming month for me both in terms of time I have available and games coming out. It has been super duper hectic in my personal life, just ready for things to settle, but its going to be several months of this.

___

New humble bundle is one step forward, one step back for me. I have a few of the games, but at least Humankind is definitive edition and Callisto has been on my list since release, but I never wanted to spend much on it. Hob's Barrow was high on my list during spooky season, but I waited and I am glad I did.

___

One more plug for Slice & Dice, its legitimately addictive. Its managed to be the only thing to pull me away from Balatro and in a lot of ways I like it more as runs are more predictable.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
God help me if I understand this company

Wait...are people upset by this?

It sounds incredible. And Steam release too.

The Castlevania DLC was great for Dead Cells so no doubt the dev will take care of the PoP name.

Dead Cells from early access launch to all the content updates was an incredible package. If they can do something like that for a PoP it will be so good. For the Deck too.

Also it should pretty much coincide with the Steam release of Lost Crown. So a lot of PoP later this year.

Ubisoft finally using their brains and utilizing their franchises in all the right ways. They haven't done this in like 10+ years. Really not since they pushed out all those smaller AssCreed sidescrollers.

Edit: Also now between this and new AssCreed in Japan. I am kinda looking forward to their summer game showcase. Wonder if they go all out on Steam release during their connect. It would be a good time. And bring back BUD you cowards.

Last edited:

Morten88

Aug 8, 2021
Im not too sad that the bundle was fake, returnal would had been great, but no way would valhalla had been a steam key. Victoria 3 have been on my wishlist for a long time, so good bundle for me.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
Seems about right. The last four years my most played games have been FFXIV, Stardew Valley and Terraria.

However to counter one aspect of that headline (may be covered in the article and I will read later) games like RE4, Dead Space or Horizon Zero Dawn 2 are typically one and done games with a playtime of between 12 and 40 hours. Their playtime is never going to compare.

Reactions: ExistentialThought

Eila

Jan 21, 2019
I spent 2020 and 2021 playing League. Glad that's mostly over. Though I do my dailies and keep up with Genshin, so clearly I'm part of the problem.

Reactions: ExistentialThought

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
Lol speaking of Terraria the lead Developer of it has come out and said they would like to go on to something else but people keep buying it and it makes them a steady income so it's a huge risk to NOT/stop working on it in the big picture of things

Every other update for it has been the "Last" update

the GAAS & Fortnite clone, Minecraft clone, League of Legends clone/Moba whatever

All usually boil down to something comes out swinging climbs to the top then it's like "Oh shit I want some of that money!" and other devs spend tons and tons of money and never get some of that audience because they just want something that's basically the same experience but worse or just a worse experience. They don't like do any sort of innovation or anything actually interesting

It's a cycle that happened again and again with MMOs with everyone going "I want some of that money that WoW makes!" then just makes a shitty clone essentially of WoW. So all the people that wanted something different from WoW that don't play it anymore won't touch it with a 10ft pole & the people who are actively playing WoW go "But I'm still playing WoW". So that game dies in a couple of months.

I played Ultima Online so I compare that to a lot of MMOs I was chasing to find a "replacement" for and there's still nothing in my eyes that has ever got up there for being able to do that for amount of just random bullshit content you could do in that game off the bat.
I started playing it again after I stopped playing WoW and I had a character with 0 survival skills. I had tailoring, Stealth, Hiding, Taming, Animal Lore Leatherworking, and one other skill Im forgetting
Character was originally a Tailor/leatherworker and I ended up a PK (Player Killer) On the server I was on because I tamed a group of animals that had a group bonus and would run up to people dismount make them all attack at once then hide and stealth follow
Sometimes it worked sometimes it didnt but I thought it was hilarious

Last edited:

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Lashley
Im with you on rogue-likes/lites, but I must say, Dead Cells was one of the few I really enjoyed.

Still... I would love if they made a campaign mode with handcrafted levels, manual saves etc.... maybe they did already - I wouldnt know because, as with Terraria and other "forever games"...eventually I lose interest games with constant updates.
The only game I really come back to regularly is WOW, and even that is completely hit-and-miss. Sometimes I enjoy playing it for a while, sometimes I'll basically have zero interest for months

__

I didnt watch that video regarding "video games are still fun, youre just depressed" so I have no clue what its really about -- but that sentence alone does resonate with me, especially when I scroll through video game news outlets (or, say, these threads). It feels like there is too much focus on the negative sides of games and game development, a lot of nitpicking (I dont wanna single people out, but sometimes I really scratch my head at criticisms that crop up that seem completely negigible to me)....
and honestly, I think its like the "social media effect" that is an extension of an age-old news paradigm: "bad news is good news". negative discourse keeps people hooked and invested... but its not exactly good for the psyche
my advice, it bears repeating: every once in a while: disconnect yourself from all that, try to see the fun in the video games you play (and drop the ones that arent fun to you; if you feel the need to grind for some achievement, for example, its probably a good time to stop), remember people make them, all people are flawed, nobody is perfect, no game is perfect..... etc...you know what I mean, I hope.

in that vein, I hope you all have a lovely day today, and if you play something today, that you enjoy your time with it.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
I think there's also the "problem" that when you've been playing for decades, some games might either not really be to your taste anymore - things change, including you.

But there's also the aspect that games tend to be derivative.
I played a bit of Horizon 2, it looks nice, Aloy is fun to play... but the content is not very engaging, it's the usual open world stuff.
And the lore might be interesting, it's not like the story and characters are particularly well written or put to good use, the first certainly didn't shine there.

So I won't be playing it, and that's fine. I've played my share of open world games like it. Good for people if they find the will to play more. I know I have a very low tolerance for rehashed games in this genre, so I know I won't even look at Tsushima or Ronin.
Sometimes, you may not want to play games, and that's okay, it's not depression :pleasedblob:
But at the same time, people are completely in their right to criticize things. The entire shtick of games still being fun comes from that inherent zealotry that videogames have, where everything is either 10/10 or straight 0, with an actual push to silence any critic (I'll easily use FF14 here where I've seen death threats multiple times until youtube videos were taken down) to insure the right propaganda.
It's not that "games are still fun, you're depressed" and more "games are still fun, and if you don't think the latest AAAA focus tested to death is not the greatest thing ever, you should feel bad, so you better tow the line or else".

And ten years later, games are ripped apart because the flaws can finally be talked about... and it overtakes the potential good parts. If you don't like reviews or just remarks on a game, just ignore them.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I think there's also the "problem" that when you've been playing for decades, some games might either not really be to your taste anymore - things change, including you.

But there's also the aspect that games tend to be derivative.
I played a bit of Horizon 2, it looks nice, Aloy is fun to play... but the content is not very engaging, it's the usual open world stuff.
And the lore might be interesting, it's not like the story and characters are particularly well written or put to good use, the first certainly didn't shine there.

So I won't be playing it, and that's fine. I've played my share of open world games like it. Good for people if they find the will to play more. I know I have a very low tolerance for rehashed games in this genre, so I know I won't even look at Tsushima or Ronin.
Sometimes, you may not want to play games, and that's okay, it's not depression :pleasedblob:
But at the same time, people are completely in their right to criticize things. The entire shtick of games still being fun comes from that inherent zealotry that videogames have, where everything is either 10/10 or straight 0, with an actual push to silence any critic (I'll easily use FF14 here where I've seen death threats multiple times until youtube videos were taken down) to insure the right propaganda.
It's not that "games are still fun, you're depressed" and more "games are still fun, and if you don't think the latest AAAA focus tested to death is not the greatest thing ever, you should feel bad, so you better tow the line or else".

And ten years later, games are ripped apart because the flaws can finally be talked about... and it overtakes the potential good parts. If you don't like reviews or just remarks on a game, just ignore them.
I like the combat in Horizon, a good implementation of bow and arrow combat will never bore me. Chatty Aloy is also kinda fun to me, though I understand how it might bother many people. And I really dig the setting and the characterisation in Horizon 2 so far (still in the intro area) is actually pretty neat. Nothing ground breaking, but it's pretty good by video game standards.

Maybe I have just gotten used to the low standards of modern open world games. It also helps that I don't feel any need to go for completionism and just focus on quests and content that seems interesting. Maybe I will be sick of this game in 10 or 20 hours and forget about, maybe I will finish the game and like it. Who knows.
So far it's pretty fun.

Reactions: LEANIJA

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Hi, my name is Kyougar and I am a forevergamer.
But not one who actively purchases MTX (unless its DLC, Expansions)

The thing is, I am content with what I have. The graphics are fine, the gameplay is what I like in the games I play.

For getting a new game it needs to be either/and/or
  • quite different gameplay-wise than what I can buy currently
  • a massive leap in simulation quantity and/or depth for 4X/strategy games
  • a sensational story WITH good gameplay (otherwise I will just watch it on Youtube)
  • more scope than the thing you want to replace

well that's all I wanted to say, I'm back to playing Minecraft GTNH

Status
Not open for further replies.